Senecio adn Tide II

1 ... 153154155156157158159 ... 179

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" I... actually did have somewhat of a talk with Hans a bit after I met you... He looked quite serious and wrote down a lot of names in some of his notebooks. And, don't get me wrong, it's not like I can smell every single thing at once wherever I am, most of the things are in the background and I need a good anchor to pinpoint someone and make enough connections to come to conclusions... Unluckily or luckily, that day you gave me your sweat to find the pearl... you were a really good anchor for me to notice many unpleasant truths, " the demon admitted a little more quietly, subconsciously twiddling his thumbs around the edge of his red scarf, as if for comfort, as he brought himself to say such things. " I guess that was the first time that I got genuinely worried for your health because the biggest cluster of scents I connected together was tied to the theatre, the circle where you moved the most. I felt really powerless back then... because what's the point of knowing something when you can't do anything? What could I possibly do? I couldn't ask Hans to forbid you from acting on account of your mental health because it would be no different from punishing you, but it's not like I could commit a mass murder spree on a whim, either, all the more, because that was a crime I was convicted of, to begin with, and I would betray Svarik's trust in me, " he murmured, sounding rather downhearted and his feeling reflecting something more personal and honest that Erdel choose to reveal to him - a sense of regret and self-blame. " I was pretty gloomy, realizing just how far my limitations are, and cruel - to give me the ability to know things, and power enough to raise a city to the ground, but not till enough power to right wrongs. That's why I talked with Hans... I pleaded with him not to let you make the play on your own, because you seemed way too determined to make it as good as you could for Tide, and I judged in your circumstances, you wouldn't be able to make it on your own without sacrificing yourself in some capacity. Hans reassured me he didn't plan to let you do it fully on your own, anyway, but he seemed rather more thoughtful and grim after our talk back then. He told me he'll implore more drastic solutions, and that I shouldn't worry, but... I never expected his solution is buying the whole theatre, "the demon finally smile slightly, but with a frailer, weaker smile, coloured with dull resigned grief. " I'm humbled by the sheer scope of his solution... Rich people really think different. It's way too expensive a solution to be replicated on a large scale, but even if it was just a small-scale solution tailored for your case, I was really relieved... Well, I was also relieved that Hans heavily underlined that technician Janus eventually replaced - the one on whose scent was the worst. At that time he promised me he'll consider circling him soon, which I was grateful for, but still, I was equally glad that he bought the theatre..."

---

( OOC: the biggest current plan they have for the day is whale sightseeing, which would wait until after everyone gathers up together. So unless Svarik has some his own plan or anything he wishes to do with other characters while Conrad is away taking care of island arrangements, we could pause the part with others, if you agree, until everyone gets together to hear the whales. What do you think? :)

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

Mirach
Administrator
"So you are in touch with Hans in case you catch a sniff of something like that again, yes?" Senecio good. "Good, then let's not talk about it anymore."

(OOC: I think we can already finish both conversations and move ahead)

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" I didn't want to remind you of something unpleasant, it's just that, since you're a master in assuming the gloomiest things about others, I didn't want you to come to the conclusion that I am the kind of person that could have noticed your troubled environment and choose to be complacent about it... There's a good reason why you're around the top of my worrying list. It's just that my powers are useless in this situation... If you don't count my gruesome way of healing, I'm really just a glorified bodyguard, as I have no amazing abilities, only raw strength, " the creature smiled apologetically, as it added carefully, with insecurity, as if probing his mood. " Rather than that little guarding role in the play as Riversong that I promised you I'll do, I fear there's little I can do for you but guard you, so whatever you plan to do for now, whether let us go to commission costume for the role I'll play, go pick up Hans, or something else, I merely request that you bright me along, " he shrugged lightly as if it wasn't big deal, but his feelings were way too protective for it not to be. " Whenever... I think you should be doing okay by now, I hear the news you're beaten up or dying, it's seriously terrible for my nerves. If you're going out, I'd feel calmer if I instead of some weaker humans protected you. Do you want to go to Hans, or do you have other plans? Let's see... hmmm. by what I can judge from here, while we talked, it seems they finished up the new stage, as most of the Beings aren't there any longer. There are a couple of humans that seemed to be cleaning up the new floors with fresh water, and a couple more workers carrying out leftover materials, but there are only two Beings left talking on the stage. One is Hans... the other.... " he narrowed his eyes thoughtfully as if trying to figure it out, focusing with a little more strain and a hint of sadness and nervousness. " Oh... I think that one is probably Janus. I heard he's generally of poor health and weak as a Being, just like Hans, and both of their essences are unrefined in similar ways, so I'm pretty confident the Being currently talking to Hans is most likely Janus. "

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

Mirach
Administrator
"A bodyguard with your senses is just what I need now to feel safe," Senecio said. "If we have some time, let's go to talk to Hans about the role and costume."

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

VisAnastasis
Administrator
Erdel's mood brightened up a little with being allowed to go, and even more so, at being called useful in the situation - it seemed that he was rather self-conscious about his inability to be of more help, his confidence seeming rather fragile after escaping the mountains. There was a bit more vigour in his step as he stood up now though, after the encouragement.
" Well, sir Falcon and Svarik are on a date, anyway, and I have no other orders... Besides, this is confidential, but I'm actually testing how willful I can be with making my own time schedule before the point anyone calls me out on it, so being a bodyguard for a while will be a great way to add more things to my schedule, " he agreed, straightening up his shirt as if to look more presentable. " Would you like to clear your head and take a walk to the theatre? Or should we see if we can ask for a carriage or horses if you'd prefer it? I mean, after training with carefully carrying a lot of weight, I'm at a point where I could also pick you up and land us in front of the theatre in a jump from roof to there, but I'm not sure if you'd be uncomfortable with me doing such a thing... "

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

Mirach
Administrator
"Tide did it with me a few times, so that's fine of we want to save some time. And we'reasking for a new costume to be made, so the more time there is for it, the better."

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" I'm just saying that Tide is skilled and has pretty elegant excellent landings and the smooth curve of his jumps, while I'm still practising... so mine will be more unpolished and unrefined. You'd definitely be safe, but I'm not sure if you'd rather not be frightened just to save time... oh, wait, you enjoy spending time with Tide without his mask, so besides pain, is a certain dose of fear a day a pleasant pastime to you? " as he connected the dots as he saw them, demon's face brightened up considerably as he grinned more confidently. " In that case, allow me to correct my flawed premise. Please, be my first unlucky passenger. Making huge leaps while safely carrying someone is actually one of the skills that I'm working very hard to improve, and it'd be great to have a guinea pig that won't be traumatized or flustered over some cruder speed and landing. "

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

Mirach
Administrator
Senecio grinned. "I'm happy to offer feedback."

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

VisAnastasis
Administrator
The demon was a bit timid as this was the closest contact they had so far, but once they got to the roof, he still took him in his arms rather firmly, so Senecio wouldn't be in danger. He was incredibly nervous as he jumped, and indeed, his jump was nowhere as elegant and smooth as Tide's - it was too fierce, too fast, and almost like a freefall in the middle, perfect for racing one's heart. But in the end, he managed to slow down the descent and landed softly in front of the theatre. The landing was about a meter further than he had planned, and he raised some dust by accident, but he still laughed while speaking his shy apologies and lowering the actor, and behind the laugh was a more cheerful, satisfied feeling - after so many downs in the last few days, it seemed the creature really needed some small victories to feel better.

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

Mirach
Administrator
"Whoo," Senecio grinned. "I think that was perfect, but I guess some opinions might differ. Like someone who recently ate might not be too thrilled. Do you want to make a couple more jumps for practice?"

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

VisAnastasis
Administrator
Erdel's first response was a surprise, as he was glad for even brief help and always tried to keep his expectations low not to burden others. But the feeling that immediately replaced the surprise was brimming, hopeful enthusiasm, laced with timid warmth. Senecio could clearly feel that as much as it was ineffective to try to coax him with presents, aiding him with something he wanted to achieve was clearly the best way to win Erdel over.
" Well... well, when my test subject is so eager, who am I to say no? " He coughed, embarrassed that the actor knew it meant much to him, though he did not seem bothered at all, merely a little shy as he gestured for Senecio to come closer so he could pick him up anew. " Still, make sure to tell me to stop right away if you feel like throwing up, deal? " he bared his teeth in a smile as he teased him warmly. " Throwing up means an instant failure to the experiment, I've decided, so you must make sure we don't fail by default. I'll be terribly sad if we fail, and you wouldn't want to make me sad now, would you? "

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

Mirach
Administrator
"Deal. So you are aiming for something more similar to the way Tide jumps, yes? Do it again and I can tell you if it's closer or further from it than the first try."

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" Oh, yes - Tide's jumps are most fluent and his landings are the softest I've seen among any demons I've met so far... It's really inspiring how naturally it comes to him and just how secure and comfortable his hold looks, " Erdel nodded fervently, with clear admiration and more hope in his voice. " There's no way I wouldn't want to learn such a skill once I've seen it... So, please, be a properly entitled passenger and nag me for any shortcomings. I need at least that level of criticism if I'm to get good enough to not be embarrassed to put it on my skill set, " he requested with a sprinkle of embarrassment before he gathered the actor in his arms anew, and, giving his all into trying a smoother and less abrupt curve, he jumped high up in the air, so he could keep going between mansion roof and theatre yard in the new practice tries.

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

Mirach
Administrator
"Okay so," Senecio said when they landed, "it was a bit smoother than before, but I think you aim too high and then the curve you move on is sharper than Tide's. He sort of glides in the upper part of it while yours feels like an abrupt change of direction."

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

VisAnastasis
Administrator
Demon listened intently, trying to get as much as he could out of the feedback.
" Hmm... I do have the capacity to jump higher than most demons if I don't calculate and tone it down first - but that's merely the result of the ridiculous potential Riversong accidentally gave me. Because of it higher jumps are easier than smaller ones as they come more naturally. But am I actually sabotaging myself by jumping too high too suddenly? Now that you mention it, Tide's jumps seem to favour the minimum needed curve so his passengers would have to struggle against the wind resistance for the least amount of time, " he was pondering, before adding, with a brighter expression. " Well, there's more analyzing to being a proper demon than I thought, but that's what's fun about it. Let's see if we can cheat this one with some more accurate math! " he proclaimed, getting himself ready for another try.

He jumped up and down from the mansion roof with the actor in his arms a few more times, and it seemed to take much more effort and straining to make a curve as small as possible than to jump high initially and then just adjust the curve midjump, but the practice was clearly showing slow and steady results, as it seemed Senecio's advice, as someone more used to this kind of transport, was invaluable to him slowly figuring it out. Along with the determined fired-up focus, the actor could clearly feel the eager joy of learning that finally overshadowed Erdel's worries as he was slowly improving.

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

Mirach
Administrator
Senecio laughed with the jumps, helping Erdel to fine-tune his aim after each landing.

"Okay, I think you almost got it now," he said after they landed back ny Sage's house. "But we really need to fit you for a costume if you'll have the role, so let's just do one more jump to the theatre and then we can continue after we take care of that."

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

VisAnastasis
Administrator
Maybe a little because of their progress, and maybe a little because Senecio was laughing so carefreely, Erdel's mood was much brighter than when they met.
" Well, since you were so helpful, I guess I now have no choice but to ace my first role, to return your enthusiasm, " he replied innocently while taking him back to the theatre and opening the door for him, the warm feelings and words being his indirect way to thank him. " Judging by the sounds, Janus and Hans seem to be in a rather good mood right now, so it's best we take advantage of that and coax the best costume we can, " he teased the information as he followed him inside, walking just a step behind him. He was still a little nervous about meeting Janus but seemed much more confident now that he felt more competent.

Indeed, just like he said, Janus and Hans were in the corner on the left, next to the beautiful, newly rebuilt stage. They were standing above a small makeshift table and discussing some sketches Janus was making. Spirit was sensitive to the world's music and his heart fluttered with joy as he recognized the sounds of Senecio's footsteps, but he could not greet him right away, because Janus was explaining something to him rather fervently, and while generally the critter's feelings were faint and feeble, right now, whatever he was discussing, demon seemed to feel rather content and enthusiastic.

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

Mirach
Administrator
Senecio entered the room and suddenly hesitated as the reality of what he wanted to ask Hans for hit him now, that he was inside the theatre. He was going to play the role again, and he wanted to do it, he wanted to do it again and experience it how it was supposed to be, to show his talent and enjoy the applause without pain, but he was still terrified.

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

VisAnastasis
Administrator
Erdel stopped as the actor stopped, too. While Hans was starting to get a bit worried that Senecio suddenly froze up, he didn't get a chance to stop Janus's sentence yet, and so, young demon couldn't help himself but respond by his instinct, and for the first time he offered Senecio a more familiar gesture, and shyly put hand on his shoulder.
" Don't lose yourself in the role, please... A part of a timid mouse does not suit a fierce human such as yourself. You're Senecio di Parvaio, the greatest actor in the whole Lowlands, " Erdel whispered to his ear, quiet enough so Janus doesn't notice them yet, and through soft confident feelings man could see the demon really honestly believed in him. " You've definitely got this, and you've got me, so make sure to put me to work most efficiently. Nobody glares as menacingly or cussess as well as me in the whole Lowlands, you know, " he teased softly, with warmth. " I'll glare fiercely at all bastards here that dislike you until they croak, and talks shit to their faces until they are blue in the face, so I'll put on enough of a show for you that you won't have time to be scared, okay? "

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

Mirach
Administrator
Senecio looked at Erdel, and the feeling of protectiveness and confidence from the demon allowed him to suppress the fear. "Yes..." he murmured, like encouraging himself. "Yes, let's do it..." He stepped towards the stage.

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

VisAnastasis
Administrator
While Janus didn't have sharp enough perception to hear them, Hans did, and there was a relief and worry both when the demon and human came close enough that he had an excuse to turn his gaze to them.

" Hi there, kids, " he didn't want to call attention to Senecio's anxiety out loud. Still, his voice held emotions of protectiveness and affection that was far more vicious than Erdel's - despite the seemingly soft smile on his face, by the feelings and attentive way the creature observed man's face, the actor could feel Spirit would be ready to throw punches if someone bullied him right now. " Did Tide tattle on us, heh? "

" Oh... yes, did he? " Janus, who suddenly noticed them, tensed up, looking embarrassed that he was caught distracted in the middle of a talk. Unlike Hans, he did not notice the shaky mood, and even though he was anxious and unsure about seeing an unfamiliar stranger behind the actor, his feelings clearly brightened up with his usual feeble but persistent warmth as his eyes fell on the human. " We told Tide to keep you occupied so we could surprise you with stage rebuilt, little Senecio, " he admitted as he added hopefully with a lighter streak in his voice. "  Everyone worked hard and we rebuilt it from scratch. Every single piece of wood and stone is new, above and below... Didn't it turn out rather lovely? Are you properly surprised? On a scale from barely passable to pretty great, how good of a surprise is it? "

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

Mirach
Administrator
"Tide didn’t, but I wanted to talk to you and Erdel sensed that you are here," Senecio said. "Is the stage finished then?" He looked around. "It does look great..."

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" I made sure to make it exactly as we discussed. I spent a big chunk of the night calculating amounts and fine-tuning designs so Hans could order all the materials first thing in the morning, " Rather than introduction with a stranger, the critter seemed to be having an easier time shyly talking about the stage - actor could feel that having to be surrounded with many people since the morning, Janus was clearly more sensitive and worn out, but more than that, he seemed to have been looking forward to sharing the fruit of their labours with the actor. " Hans and I took special care to pick materials that were not slippery and without any sharp edges. I also made sure it looks as advanced from the original as possible. Especially basement level below the stage - I made it look as little as possible as it did before, and I also installed the system of mirrors that lead from surface to lower level that we talked about, " he explained patiently, with a brighter tone in his voice, indeed, as if sharing something he was rather pleased with. " I could barely see anything last time from the sidelines, but now I can observe the play as if I were up there, and watch your art properly, just like the others! Do you want to see how the stage looks from below? I finished tuning it a bit before you came, all mirrors work perfectly, and I made sure there's much more light down below now for the sake of the children -I dare to say, it's rather more cosy by now, and I won't feel bad anymore when I invite you to cup of tea there when you have a break, too, " he sounded even more pleased with that than with mirrors actually, as it indeed seemed that, while creature's feelings were weak and feeble, he was clearly at the very least thinking happy thoughts right now. " Having a safe sheltered area in this mad doghouse is a must. It's not properly furnished yet, and I am not good in the arts of lazing around yet, but I am agreat Elder God that can learn anything I set my mind to. I'll definitely learn how to make the most secure resting area for you and the three kids. "

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

Mirach
Administrator
"Yes, I'd like to see that," Senecio nodded. "This is Erdel, my friend from the capital. He's also my guard right now, can he come as well?"

Re: Senecio adn Tide II

VisAnastasis
Administrator
Despite being nervous, Erdel couldn't stop his lips from twitching upward a bit with that introduction. A little because of that slight smile, though mostly because of what the actor said, Janus's expression brightened up and he opened up a little more.
" So... does it mean you've upgraded to having friends now? That's lovely! I've only ever met your acquaintances so far, and I dislike most of those because they are cruel bastards that speak poorly of you behind your back, " the creature responded bluntly, oblivious to the crude nature of his statement, sounding genuinely pleased Senecio was making friends. " Hello, little Erdel, " he waved with his hand timidly, following the actor's choice of words. " I am Janus. My status is still not confirmed officially, but in the worst case, I'm Senecio's close ally from the seacoast. He said you are his guard currently, but your eyes are rather sparkly for a human... are you a Being? You seem rather young to have a job for a Being, though... "
" Y-yes, " the creature stuttered a little, unsure what is the proper way to respond, too. " I, I am a demon as of recently, sir, but I used to be human. And I look a bit young, but that's because I stopped ageing three years ago when I became a vampire originally. I was 26 back then, I'm 29 now, and I was a skinny man, so I merely look younger than I should, but I assure you, I'm used to working and am old and qualified enough to be a guard by human standards... "
" Oh... I see. Still, you're merely a Being kid right now, then, " Janus's eyes grew softer suddenly, though Senecio could feel there was pity and sadness in them as well for some reason. It seemed the fact Erdel was a Being calmed him a little though, but his words were rather pragmatic. " Well, human or Being, old enough for a guard or not, you're qualified to join us but by being Senecio's friend. Since we are celebrating a job well done, you're all officially invited to my first Below-stage Tea party, " he proclaimed with timid warmth. " I only know how to brew mint, cinnamon, rosehip and chamomile teas so far, though, so you'll have to pick from those four. Is that, um, a satisfactory arrangement for a celebratory merrymaking? "
" Um... I guess ...? " Young demon's age was complicated, as he glanced to Senecio for help, as he didn't imagine Janus would interact with him like this and wasn't sure what to say.
1 ... 153154155156157158159 ... 179