Svarik and the company I :)

1 ... 91929394959697 ... 100

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" Alright then. " demon paused, and then, he spoke up slowly. " For last ten years, empire has raised our taxes tremendously, in order to stabilize the land. Poor people were doing badly. We spoke loudly again it. We were angry... We stopped paying taxes altogether at one point, to protest. And Lowlands council did not take that well. Rebels, they called us. " he said quietly. " Many legions of army came to us, with priests of the Bull, and Tarmagil on its head. They claimed we rebelled again them. We did not know what to do. If we fought back, then we knew whole army would come, and we could not fight against such force for long. We surrendered, and pleaded forgiveness. Tarmagil was mad, and ugly in his madness. He wanted to set our city ablaze, and everyone in it. He wanted to make a sacrifice to his God, to win grace of that awful Deity anew. He would have done it, if general Irnet did not oppose to it. But still, Tarmagil wanted to punish us for our insolence, so we would remember not to oppose him. He dressed the curse he had in store for us as a blessing. He took our children. To breed them into next generation of his priests, he said. To kill them if we try anything, he did not say, but we knew. " even now, demon's voice trembled at that. " Almost 100 children, Nightngale. 100 children, little Nightingale, one from each married home. Army left soon... But pain did not. I loved those kids like my very eyes, like I love all children that grow up here, and I could do nothing. They took Sage's youngest grandson, too... It was horrible pain, to be so helpless, and to watch our children disappear into the night. " he said with grief, as if each of those kids were child of his own.

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

Mirach
Administrator
"So that's why you and Sage were so far from the sea?" Svarik asked, beginning to understand.

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" We could not do anything.. legally. And just killing Tarmagil, it would not be... politically correct. That's how Hans explained me. I did not understand his big words much... I mostly understood it in means that they'd assume it's us who did it and they'd take revenge on us, or worse, kill the younglings. " demon whispered. " I can not stand to see youngligs suffer. I love younglings. Hans could not go... He is not really much of a fighter, besides, he's terrified of Capital City, and would not go there for dear life, as terror of being at place where emperors lived for so long would cripple him. I would never lead him where it hurts him to be. And so we left... Sage and I. All the children.. And Sage's little grandson... We had no idea what to do, but we had to follow them... When you are a demon, you have those yearnings and desires,you see,  Little prince. When you feel something deeply and strongly, you need to act upon it, or it would bounce back and corrupt you. We yearned to follow trail of our children.. And so we did... "

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

Mirach
Administrator
"And how did you meet Falcon?" Svarik asked.

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" It was like a miracle. " Demon bemused, his voice growing hoarse. " Sage is dark skinned, you see, and it's not like I am exactly common looking, either, even in pet form. We could not come in to the city through city gates, we would stand out if we were not careful. So we went around the city walls, searching for an inconspicuous way in, as neither of us could fly over it. It was a gloomy autumn. Alas, I admit, as our only food was local greenery and fish I was catching from the river, and we had to eat it raw, as we couldn't cook, not to draw attention to us, Sage grew malnourished in two weeks we spent outside city walls, and without fire, he grew ill and cold. We were hitting a low... So we started to go at night in orchards around city, to take fruits from them to eat. We were not stealing. That would be awful. " he rushed to add, so Svarik would not think he was immoral.

" We were leaving coins of silver or gold for everything we took, which is, of course, high prize for a pear or apple, but Sage never liked underpaying. Me neither. And so, one night, Sage grew sick from heavy rains and hunger, and we went much closer than we ever were before,  searching for healing herbs in orchards. I did not care for fire at that point, I knew I need to make him tea and make him warm. Humans require warmth when they are sick. " he whispered quietly. " We searched through the garden, and I was so immersed into it... That I did not notice somebody watching us. It was too late when I finally did, because it was when a dark figure in black approached us. We tensed up, knowing how awful we looked, one peculiar dark skinned man in light skinned north, one humanoid demon, in the garden at night, taking fruit and healing herbs. We did not know what do. If we killed him, it would draw attention, if we didn't kill him, he would out us out. Sage froze, and I stood up between dark figure and him, to protect him. But the man in black that approached us was silent. He just stood there, solemn and unbreakable like an ancient tree, with greatness in his stance.
* You won't find yarrow or anything suck, I fear. * he said, completely casually. * It's too late of a winter*.
I was startled by the statement. * What do you know of us? How long have you been following us? * I demanded of him the answer gloomily.
*For couple of days. I sow you leave coins for the fruit you take. Personally, I am a big fan of that. * he said * But I would have to bid you to stop, as position of awesome guy in the night that leaves coins for the fruit is taken. Seriously, I have the whole thing and legend woven around it, so you should really stop. * he said, in such practical voice that I could not be angry, only baffled.
We were both silent for a while, staring at each other. When I looked closely at him, I could see he seemed human... And I could see his clothes were actually blue, embroidered with glimmering stars. You can not really be afraid of someone who commissioned himself clothes of starlight for goal of walking through night gardens. " he smiled shyly.
"* We can not stop. * I said slowly. * It's just a bit of food. My friend needs it. We are overpaying it, anyway, so there is no harm done. *
He shook his head, though. * My, of course there is harm being done. * he grinned * Your friend is clearly ill. As guardian of this place, for me, it is almost as unacceptable as someone running around, leaving coins in orchards, in, to be honest, crude imitation of my awesome prepared act. *
* But we are not immitati-- "
" None the less, I don't want people seeing you and talking of you are if you are some improved Miracle 2.0. You are new, so you clearly don't know how things work here, but position of Miracle ™, one and only, is mine. * he talked funny. I think it was meant to be a joke, but I did not really understand at a time.
* We.. will not stop. * I said firmly instead. * My friend needs this food, and you better watch out, if you don't want to become mine. *
* Why, that's exceedingly rude and impolite. * he scolded me, seeming unfazed with my threat. * But you are right - you do need proper food, and I need you to stop creeping around my orchards at night...*
*Your orcha-*
*That's beyond the point. So, listen, here's what I think we should do. We should just meet each other halfway and make a deal. * he said with bright confident grin, and extended his hand at me. * Let's just say I know a lady that has a nice home nearby, with plenty of free space. How about you come with me, and I treat you and your sick friend with some fine warm meal and herb tea?*
*I...* I stuttered.
* Wait... * he added nonchalantly. * When we are at it, why don't we throw a warm room with a fireplace in the mix? With three meals a day and all healing herbs you require as well, of course. For two weeks rent-free, and I will prolong it, if I grew to like you well enough. *
I did not know what to say. On one hand, it was dangerous to trust anyone... On other hand, Sage was sick and had a fever, and humans need warmth. I said nothing, thinking. I am a bit slow.. " Tide whispered embarrassingly." He did not let me wait for long, though.
* Come on.. * he said, waving with his extended hand. * Your friend is ill, do you want to stay here all night, right? *
* Why would you wish to help us?*
* I am a guardian of people in this city. * he said nonchalantly.  * You are technically on territory of the city, so you are, alas, under my awesome jurisdiction. *
* Guardian? Your.... jurisdiction? *
*Certainly. *
*What... What exactly are you to have jurisdictions of such sort? A demon? A Spirit? Something else?*
I raised my eyebrows, and he chuckled at it.
* Ah, nah - it would upgrade my awesomeness, but I am actually a human. Pinnacle of human existence and excellence, and all that. So, do we have a deal?* he waved with him hand. I was thinking. I was afraid, but humans require warmth when they are sick. I bid Sage to trust me, and I took hand of a man in black, and shook it. His eyes were brilliantly gray, shining in the dark, but they were indeed deep down filled with some sickly, sad and solemn humanity, and I felt like I could maybe trust him with that. He pressed by hand two times, and he instructed us to follow him through the night, and we did... "

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

Mirach
Administrator
Svarik smiled, being able to imagine the scene quite well. "Yes, that's what he uses to do... Building a legend of Star Boy leaving coins for fruit. Back then he only knew Star Boy was as a character from legends, and he liked those stories and stars as well..."

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" I do not know about your local legends. I only know him, and that was enough for me. To be honest, it was marvelous fact on its own for me that he existed. I wasn't really sure for the first few days if he was even human, despite he appeared so. " Tide smiled fondly and shyly, speaking with great fondness and respect. " He brought us to a home of a girl named Ariel. We found there already was a room free, with fire  in fireplace already lit for us. It was warm and comfortable there... And little frightening as a fact. We were cautious of it, you understand, but despite being wary, you can't quite help but to think of it as... magic. We were brought fresh clothes more fit for the north, and warmed blankets. We were handed freshly made warm meal, and it was just made, and wasn't even poisonous, I checked twice. And the man, to whom all people in the house responded to like to a deity, each elegant gesture of his hands raised in wish being like a command to them - he himself went to kitchen, and brew big pot of healing tea, and brought it to our room to Sage.
 *Hush now, just to warn you, I want to hear no silly questions tonight. * he brushed of nonchalantly, even if we didn't ask anything. " Tide flustered shyly. " * Drink it all up, and if you run out of it, just ask Ariel to make you more. I have healer friend in the city, and I will ask him to send you proper medicine tomorrow, too, so you can grow better soon. *"
* We thank you for your consideration tonight, but we don't plan to stay here but until the morning, we need to go out on our way. *
* Nonsense. * he said. * I don't want to hear a word about going out in this cold, dear travelers. Not a word. You have no way of getting to the city over city walls on your own, and I have no intention of getting you in until your friend is better, so... *
* Who said we want to go to the city? * I asked and stood up tensely, but he just rolled his eyes at me, as if I was a child.
* My gosh, you're so obvious, alright? But seriously - I am your best bet at going in, and if you want to go in, no silly escape plans - drink your teas and medicine I send you for day or two until you get better, and then, we will talk further about how to smuggle you in properly. *
* Why would you want to help us get in?*
* It's easy answer to easy question. * he said nonchalantly. * Fruit you took is worth couple of copper coins... And yet, I watched you - you were in grace of heart of leave silver and golden coins behind. I am very charmed when I see rich people overpay so ridiculously instead of trying to further rob the poor, and I can respect that. I thought it would be super neat to acknowledge that your kindness pleased me by helping you out. *
* So... You just kind of... Think it would be... neat... to help us out? * I couldn't believe my ears, this man was  confusing me so much. Nobody speaks to a ancient demon as old as dirt like that.
* Yeah. * he said playfully. * I am a very awesome and benevolent God, you see, and have to throw in cool rewards to my favorite critters here and there to make things interesting. *
* Hm.. Um... *
*Then it's settled. Look after yourself, and I will come check on you tomorrow evening, pinky promise. *

He said, and he just waved at us, and left us, seeming content enough that we were now warm and comfortable to care for conversation. He walked with such tremendous charm and confidence in his step, as if he owned the whole world... He walked like an almighty God indeed. Each his step was one of thunder and pride, and sound of his booths echoes on the marble floors. I knew he couldn't be a God, of course... " Tide blushed, seeming little flustered. " But when you gazed at him, you felt indeed, as if watching a powerful benevolent Deity. Not a human, not a Being... But something innately good and just, only by accident captured within the human flesh and clothed with it. " he said shyly, as it seemed by his words, that man's actions really left deep impression on him, and that he maybe even had a little crush on him, so easily falling in love with people peculiar and kind. * His words were casual and dismissing, but they were concealing heart full of kindness, heart fit for an angel. He was goodness personified. Yes, wrapped with bit of sarcastic tone and ironic wording, of complicated words, but, um... somewhere in there, was something so good, that you can not help yourself but be ever drawn to it, like our planet is draw toward the sun... You are his Semai, so I think you already know how it feels...  *

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

Mirach
Administrator
"Yes, I know exactly what you mean," Svarik said quietly. "You described it very accurately. It is an honor to be his Semai..."

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

VisAnastasis
Administrator
Demon nodded shyly, caressing Xia with his healthy hand quietly for a moment, reminiscent of that extraordinary moment.
" He would come each evening in next three days, to check out on us. He refused to answer anything, only doing the small talk and occasionally joking that he was our God or Guardian angel, until Sage was better the third day. That night, he made sure we dressed well, and showed us one secret passage to the city, and led us through paths where no guards or soldiers roamed, to his grand mansion... And there, he made us all tea, and we finally talked, in a beautiful room he called *City room*, with a wonderful model of the capital city. He told us he knew of the children that were taken and knew who we are, and that currently, since rooms in the fortress were not prepared yet kids were not staying there so far, so we have a chance still. He said priests did not decide yet if they'll take all kids there to be priests or only some of the youngest ones that are... more impressionable. They wanted to wait till they chose best ones from the bunch, and get rid of the... bad apples. " Tide gulped, and his head shook just a little with leftover of anger. " That's what Falcon said he heard. He didn't like seeing kids treated like that, and hating Bull priests and causing them misery is among his favorite hobbies, he said. He said he had soft spot for children, and is angered when they're mistreated. He said he known an Orphanage in which our  children were currently placed like a back of his hand, and that he wants to help us save our kids... He, a Lowlander, person from the capital, where we had no ties or friends, wanted to help us so, and did help us. " Tide nodded solemnly. " I can never forget it, as long as he lives. If he called me for aid, even in that place where the cruel Death now lives, I could never not answer his call. "

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

Mirach
Administrator
"So the were in the Orphanage?" Svarik asked thoughtfully, connecting what he knew. "I have heard about a fire in the Orphanage... Is that connected to you, somehow?"

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" Falcon had heard of Sage, and he knew he was influential back home, and he knew our kids would trust us. Also, we told him about.. additional influence Sage had with Hans. We figured we should risk some things and be honest in order to prepare best. Falcon was pleased with it. That's why he went out of his way to create a plan for us. " Tide whispered. " Few people knew of it at a time and even fewer know details. We prepared everything over the course of following few days, knowing we have no time to waste. Falcon wanted it to happen on one specific date, which was a holiday of a Bull, to add a bit of flavor of superstition to the mix. We made a deal with him. Plan was that on that evening of Bull holiday, we create diversion by setting fire to Orphanage, and for us and our men to use it to take children out and hide them in his mansion., while we plant some dead charred bodies instead of them to make it seem like they are dead. He would wait for few months till dust lays low, and then, slowly, by small groups, he would send children back to our city, where Hans would make sure to smuggle them back into system by giving them new names, and hiding them and making sure they lay low if case Bull priests come to search for them. His men would help with everything, and he would pay the trips and feed and look after kids for that time. That was his part of the deal. " Tide whispered. " Or part... He said that it would be suspicious if only 100 of our children disappeared. So that is why he wanted us to agree to take as well 50 more children, from ones from Orphanage willing to go south too. He made us promise we would take them to south, and make sure that they are all adopted in under a year into good homes. Sage agreed readily, and me too. My friend personally adopted 5 orphans from the capital that now live here in biggest palace with his kids and grandkids, in name of his friendship to Falcon and word he gave. He is a good step parent, you know, dear guest Nightingale. Please, reassure ser Falcon that all 50 children we took in to south, were adopted into good homes - we made sure of that, and we are checking out on them every now and then. Lot of nobleman of our city were glad to adopt couple of them, so some of them will grow up to be little lords and sweet little princes... I am happy that we could do that for ser Falcon. That was all he wanted out of the deal, and he wouldn't hear about us trying to pay him with anything, telling us that whatever money we would give him, we rather give to those kids. And so was our exchange... He returned our 100 children to their homes, in exchange for us providing homes to 50 of his. In your capital city it is considered a grave tragedy, that fire, in which 150 children are thought to have died. Tarmagil thought it a terrible omen, and he, to my knowledge, did not try to take any more new children to his order in last three years. "

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

Mirach
Administrator
"So nobody really died in that fire?" Svarik asked. "I heard some people got hurt..."

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" That's why I said Falcon paid a grave prize for helping us, and remained man of his word still. " Tide whispered quietly. " It went a little... worse than in our plan. Me and Sage were waterbenders, you see, and we were able to use water in the air to keep fire stable for most of the time.... But near the end, humidity went almost to zero, and air was too dry to be of any use. It spread too fast, much faster than it should - there must had been something flammable in the building that we couldn't predict. Anyway, as waterbenders, me and Sage did out best to keep fire as down as possible, so casualties were small... Nobody died, but many, many were injured, though most not much. But we made one terrible miscalculation. Children were led out well, but we did not count on their panic, and how hard some would be to get out in their fright. It slowed us down too much. And worst of all... One child had hid in a cupboard, and we did not find out until it was too late. I could not go in, because guards and priests were already there at a scene, and they would recognize me if I went toward the light of the fire and went in, and then everything would be for nothing... But someone else went in. He did not look back or hesitate. It was a brave young healer, but a child in my eyes - but for Falcon, it was a valuable comrade and friend. A child, named Nickolas Flamel. Nickolas went in, and saved the boy that was left behind... But he was severely burned, and barely alive. Falcon was silent in his grief, as mighty as magnificent and collected, that silent and lonesome God - but I could feel damage to his heart was terrible. I don't think he ever really forgave himself, for that little healer growing so hurt on his own watch, in fire he conspired to cause with us. And that is... One thing I am very sorry for. " demon whispered, and king could see pang of sadness and compassion in his wavy, dreamy eyes of the sea. " We made sure to contact Hans right away to send Falcon lot of rare and powerful medicines that helped his friend pull through, but I know how we would have suffered if Sage got hurt like that. I will never consider the debt we owe him repaid, as long as I live. It takes a great man to feel such loss, and still consider you friend... " he noted seriously, and then slowly repeated Svarik's words from before. " We put them all in danger by being there... And he was still so kind to us. I will never forget. "

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

Mirach
Administrator
"Now I understand why he feels so bad about Owl's injury..." Svarik sighed. "I thought that he couldn't have known there will be fire... but he did. He still carries that guilt, although Nicolas got much better. He carries many such burdens that I wish I could ease..."

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" I would expect nothing other than big burdens, in baggage of that lonely benevolent guardian. I am sure he had to make many tough choices. " Tide whispered sadly. " I am sure there are many things he did not tell you, or that he sugar coated, not to make you sad like this. He looked to me a man, or God, of many hurts he carried on his own. I was grieved for him and thought of him often, but now, I am at peace at last. Now, he has a gentle Semai, that knows the ways of healing broken hearts  - he has you... " an ancient demon whispered softly and gently. " I am very happy. "

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

Mirach
Administrator
"I wish I could heal his," Svarik said quietly. "I'm trying every day that I am with him, but his hurts are deep and hard to reach."

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" The hurt that was forced upon you was deep and hard to reach, too, spreading to the very core of your heart and soul. And yet, after so long, you finally was able to reach it, and to let others touch it, too. " demon noted gently, his tender expression filled with unshaken, warm streak of hopefulness. " I believe in you. It will take time and lot of care, as it's taking for you, sweetest Nightingale, but I know you will help that sweet benevolent God, like you helped out my Sea Deity too. You can do it. "

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

Mirach
Administrator
Svarik smiled lightly with the encouraging words. "Thank you for sharing the story with me," he said. "Now I finally understand what happened that day."

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" I thought it may be of help to you to have one secret more cracked about man in black. Since he didn't even tell you about us, I imagine he must have many secrets more. That is okay, that he has his space, but one secret less can only mean something good for your bond... " he said shyly, and, with his unhurt hand, he slowly and timidly put his mask back on, concealing his face anew.

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

Mirach
Administrator
"I got used to his secrets," Svarik nodded. "It's always good to know a bit more about him. If I may ask though, why are  you wearing the mask?"

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" You have eyes of a Spirit that see beauty in everything, so you can gaze upon me more freely... But there is too much chaos within my own eyes, a remnant of time when I was not One, but Many little lowly creatures of sea, fighting for dominance within one mind, before they became I. My eyes are terrifying...  and... ugly to humans, and I guess to lot of Spirits too. Their chaos frightens and scares them. I prefer to wear masks, in forms that I commonly take before humans, because humans would be in fear of me otherwise, like dogs are. I prefer to wear mask... When I do not, and when people gaze upon my eyes for too long, they can feel overwhelmed and too touched, and that is too intimate experience for nothing. I don't want to discomfort humans I like. " he said seriously, and then, he smiled a little sadly, as he added, with little vulnerable trace of humor. " Besides, I am shy. " he chuckled nervously. " I need more time, to feel comfortable in revealing myself to others. Usually, um.. whenever I get more free with people, they end up fearful and leave. Mask is better, um, starting point. "

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

Mirach
Administrator
"So a mask is actually a part of your form?" Svarik asked.

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" Look at it like at clothes. It's just a part of clothing. It's not like I imagined it strictly to hide from you. " creature chuckled shyly. " I just like masks. When you wear masks, people are less afraid of you. They are great... They make me feel comfortable. "

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

Mirach
Administrator
"They also add a bit of mystery," Svarik smiled lightly. "Thank you for the privilege of seeing your true face."

" Look at it like at clothes. It's just a part of clothing. It's not like I imagined it strictly to hide from you. " creature chuckled shyly. " I just like masks. When you wear masks, people are less afraid of you. They are great... They make me feel comfortable. "

http://cherrizon-2.2365052.n4.nabble.com/Svarik-and-the-company-I-tp2p2355.html
To unsubscribe from Svarik and the company I :), click here.
NAML

Re: Svarik and the company I :D

VisAnastasis
Administrator
" I am pleased you liked it. " king could feel creature smiled softly and shyly, with warmth and some tender streak of affection. " Not many do, straight from the first glance... But you came closer, and looked so charmed when you glanced into my eyes... It made me feel... a little bit... pretty, for a moment. Thank you, sweet little prince. "
1 ... 91929394959697 ... 100